Profession : Assistant paramedics
Assistant paramedics drive light-duty medical vehicles and/or ambulances as a crew member of the graduate paramedic (DEA).
Assistant paramedics must be able to transport patients on medical prescription in light-duty medical vehicles. Working in a team with the paramedic, assistant paramedics are responsible for driving the vehicle while also participating in patient care, in all circumstances.
Training : Assistant paramedics
Training dates for 2018
- Course 1: 18–23 March and 9–13 April 2018
- Course 2: 14–18 May and 28 May–1 June 2018
- Course 3: 18–29 June 2018
- Course 4: 24–28 September and 15–19 October 2018
- Course 5: 5–9 November and 26–30 November 2018
Download the files for registration:
Conditions for registration
- No age limit or selection exam
- Hold a valid French driving licence B in accordance with current regulations, and for the last 3 years at least
- Provide a certificate of suitability to drive ambulances (attestation préfectorale d’aptitude à la conduite d’ambulance) following a medical examination conducted with the provisions defined in article R. 221-10 of the French Highway Code
- Provide a medical certificate with up-to-date vaccinations (BCG, DTP, Hepatitis B)
Length of the training
2 weeks (70 hours).
IFITS offers 5 of these courses per year.
- Module 1: emergencies (adapting care, individually and as a team, to the state of the patient, in all emergency situations) – Approval by AFGSU (Attestation de Formations aux Gestes et Soins d'Urgences – Certificate of Training in Emergency First-Aid), level 2
- Module 2: Hygiene and the prevention of infection transmission
- Module 3: Handling (ergonomics, safety regulations for positioning and moving patients)
- Module 4: Medical transportation safety (illness, vehicle, driving)
- Module 5: Respect for the regulations and values of the profession, managing transport administration
The courses includes theoretical and practical exercises, as well as simulation.
Number of trainees per course
Training costs : Assistant paramedics
- Costs for independent applicants : €696
- Costs for societies : €761
- Registration fee: €50
Course fees must be paid in full during the first week of the course.
- Various bodies can cover course fees: for further information, ask Pôle Emploi, PAIO, Mission Locale or your employer
- If you'd like to ask a body to cover your course fees, write to the branch secretary for a quotation for the course